The main role of the Operations Director is to manage the broad internal team and studio’s project schedules, through utilizing well developed skills of communication & leadership. The Operations Director acts as the main liaison to our clients when on-boarding new projects and navigating project challenges. Technical at its roots, this role requires a keen and experienced eye to review & mentor project outputs, in order to ensure that all documents issued by Ste Marie meet rigorous standards that conform to a high level of design and construction industry expectations
Qualities we expect in an Operations Director:
- A great leader, team player, a strong and positive communicator, and particularly skilful in managing people, time and quality.
- Strong understanding and rich knowledge of design and technical specifics.
- Holds Degree or Diploma in Interior Design, with 5+ years of work experience in varied design roles.
- Can keep up with the fast paced work environment and manages obstacles and tight deadlines with a positive attitude that inspires the broader team.
- The individual should be a strong communicator and able to evaluate the most effective way for the team and themselves to multi-task.
- An ability to understand and embody the Ste. Marie perspective, process and approach to our clients, our projects and our studio.
- Report to Ste Marie Principal, Director, & 3rd party strategic business consultant to chart, calibrate and improve ongoing studio operations.
- Work alongside Studio Principal & Director to calibrate and navigate quarterly and yearly goals to enhance studio ability and efficiency.
- Unearth key project milestones & red flags to effectively manage overall project workflow and Studio schedule.
- Coach and lead Project Leads, Designers & Technical Team on studio drawing standards, drawing organization, schedule documents, FF& E standards & code compliance and specification methods.
- Auditing & coaching Project Leads on project management skills.
- Acting as a champion for our methods and approach every opportunity to enhance them and educate on them
- Participate in Business Development whenever possible by leveraging industry contacts & relationships.
- Act as a project liaison for the clients while building and maintaining strong client relationships.
- Scoping, quoting and providing comprehensive fee proposals for prospective new projects
Technical & Project Execution
- At project commencement, creation of, communication of and management of project milestones & associated deliverables.
- Clarifying project consultants respective roles & accountability with clients & within studio
- Creating contract documents and managing negotiations & execution in an expedited manner. Liaising with legal counsel on contract related manners when necessary.
- Consult with client & provide guidance or scopes on process to onboard 3rd party consultants (Architect of Record, Engineers, Lighting Consultants, Hotel Consultants, etc)
- Provide mentorship on procedures and documents pertaining to contract administration including: efficient shop drawing and material submission review, on-site construction coordination and risk/problem solving.
- Provide mentorship on protocol guidance on contractor and field interaction
- Manage Studio standards and procedures for Site Instructions, Code compliance, RFI procedures, change orders.
- Provide guidance on execution of complex specialty interior elements and custom FF&E- constructibility, detailing, source and bidding.
- Provide guidance on effective V.E. solutions while maintaining design integrity.
- Provide detailed drawing reviews prior to document issuance to facilitate drawing audits, but also to learn insights in to gaps in the work or the designer’s knowledge
- Create formal documents where required to standardize design practices and workflow protocol.
- Provide Scope, fees and manage approval process for major Change Orders within projects.
- Conduct Post-Project review with Lead Designer to understand benefits from process & areas for improvement.
- Update and produce monthly invoicing schedules and communicate invoicing needs in a timely manner to broader Studio management team and Controller.
- Collaborate with Ste Marie Principal & Director to look for opportunities to offer education advancement opportunities in the Studio. Champion training courses and industry profession organization involvement.
- Liaising with Insurance Providers & studio Controller to obtain required insurance documents for execution of project contracts.
- Evaluate, establish & maintain profitable process for FF&E specifying & procurement.
- Evaluate ongoing needs of the office operations & manage revisions, updates as necessary (software programs, hardware purchases, FF&E, etc.)
- Manage on-boarding & scheduling of internal contractors, including providing scope of work, establishing fees & schedules, and managing deliverables.
- On-board new employees by ensuring their workstations are set up, software in place, and standards & protocols are introduced
- Liaise with external IT consultant, Controller & Building Manager as necessary
- Manage office building systems & maintenance communication as necessary (cleaners, repair trades, etc)
Please include the job opportunity you are applying for on your cover letter and include your resume.
Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org
NOTE: Only those applicants under consideration will be contacted.